If you work within the building industry then you’re probably only too aware of the importance of implementing some form of security for all of your sites.
Hiring security guards is the best form of security but often it’s something that smaller companies can’t afford to do.
In this post, we’re going to talk about the potential threats facing construction sites and give you some site security tips to set about implementing yourself.
Construction site security and how to prevent theft
There is always a level of risk associated with construction sites although this varies according to the size of the site, its location, and the amount of expensive equipment and tools that are present.
Passers-by and even your own workers, often view construction sites as easy targets and use weekends and after hours to gain access to the site. While preventing construction site isn’t easy, there are a few things you can implement to help protect your site from vandalism and/or theft.
- Install high fences to block out the view of your site from passers-by
- Lock all tools away at the end of each day and have an accountability system in place
- Keep an inventory of all tools together with their model and serial numbers which is useful for accountability and insurance purposes
- Connect motion sensors to your lighting system
- Minimise materials left on side by not over-ordering
- Install CCTV cameras and alarm systems to scare off potential intruders
- Hire mobile construction site patrols who can patrol your site several times during the night and check for any signs of suspicious activity
- If you have a bigger job on the go, consider hiring permanent static construction site guards who can keep your site safe after hours
The different types of construction site thieves
Not all construction site thieves are the same. Broadly speaking, they can be narrowed down to 2 types.
The opportunist – This is a thief who breaks in, steals equipment, and then abandons it nearby, for the sheer thrill of it. Unfortunately, the equipment or machinery usually has to be written off because of misuse and damage.
Organised criminals – These criminals work in groups and are likely to have spent days or even weeks planning their theft meticulously to the last detail. These groups repeatedly target vulnerable construction sites, and it’s highly unlikely that you’ll ever see your equipment again.
How construction site security can save you money
Construction site theft shows no sign of slowing down and if you can afford to invest in construction site security, it will save you money in the long run.
Hiring construction site guards can protect you from theft and show potential thieves that your site is not there for easy pickings.
If you’re ready to talk about construction site security then get in touch with the team at MA Services. As well as supplying security guards for a wide range of businesses, individuals, and events, we also carry out security testing to help companies safeguard themselves better against criminal activity. To find out more contact us on 1300 020 406 today.
To Ensure the safety and protection of your people, assets and systems.